August 3, 2014

I missed the 1 st of August

August 1st is the equivalent of 4th of July for Switzerland. It is the Swiss National Day. Eversince I was a little girl, we celebrated in style with bomfires, lanterns, paper plates decorated with Swiss motives and Bratwurst with Bürli. Over the years the celebration evolved into fancy fireworks accompanied by classical music organized by the city of Zurich and later Geneva.

My favourite celebration, however, remains the festivities in the mountains where locals gather around a bomfire ontop of the hill from where you can spot many more bomfire streching across the valley as every village organises its own bomfire - each and every one overseen by two local firemen!

We spent a few days in Rougemont last week but due to bad planning on my behalf we returned to Madrid on July 28th, 2014.

Today, I really miss my Swiss alphorns and Bratwurst wit Bürli. I have hung out the Swiss lanterns in my garden but it just isn't the same....











2 comments:

  1. PostcardsfromswitzerlandAugust 06, 2014 11:25 AM

    I perfectly understand u. When I see my friends' photos on FB celebrating Italian national festivities I feel really homesick. No matter if I organise something here in Switzerland. It ain't just the same. Spending my first 1st August in Zurich I was really surprise to discover how much the Swiss National Day is felt by Swiss People. It is refreshing and it makes me love more my new home. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you have caught the 1.August fever along with the Swiss. If you get the chance, celebrate in the Alps one year. There are few moments more beautiful than watching the sun set on top of a mountain.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...