June 24, 2019

Celebrating Dr.L in Dundee

Dundee was the destination for this week...perfect considering it is mid-summer night on June 21st.

First off I needed to check on the map how to get there, next a google map zoom-in to inspect the huge medical university center. Yep, that is where my Godson spent the past five years studying and training night and day... literally... and had passed all his exams.

My childhood friend had sent me an invitation for her son’s graduation ceremony over nine months ago and I had been looking forward to this day all year.

My little English-Swiss Godson whom I held in my arms many moons ago was now a young man and picking me up at Edinburgh airport to drive me to Dundee. That was a first: having one of our kids driving me rather than the other way around.

My best friend and souls sister had found a rather nice Airbnb in the center of town and her charming husband was ready to welcome me with glass of bubbly as I walked through the door... he always does. Such the English gentlemen! A quick gossip with my bestie before her mum and brother join the crowd flown straight in from Switzerland.

Our jolly group enjoyed a delicious pub dinner of fish and chips (much to my delight) and returned back to base for some tea, chocolate and a good catching up!

The next day Godson’s gorgeous girlfriend joined the happy bunch and off we went to check out the new V&A museum and explore the history of the famous Scots who ventured all the way to the Antarctic with their ship “Discovery” at the turn of the century which was docked next to the museum. The mind boggles...

In the afternoon we all turned up at Dundee’s town square dressed to the nines to find hundreds of smiling graduates in their black robes and red sashes. A good number of them were wearing kilts with their family’s tartan and boy did they look dashing!

It was very heartening and rewarding to see the students graduating in Dundee’s magnificent Caird Hall having successfully completed their respective degrees.

A beautiful - slightly long - ceremony where my Godson received a tap on the head with the Dundee bonnet (go figure.... they say it’s tradition) and the boy is officially a Doctor! Dr. L. well done!!! We are all so proud of you.

More bubbly, more celebration, more food, more laughs, more stories from the past, more giggles, a little embarrassment of the youngsters while they realize the older generation actually was pretty cool way back then and have some pretty good stories to tell!

This eclectic group has been like family to me ever since I was a little girl and I am so grateful to be part of their colorful quilt called life. For my bestie and I started hanging out at the age of four which means we have quiet a few stories to tell...


A very suave looking V&A Museum at the seafront of Dundee


The less-inviting back allies of Dundee


The "Discovery" in all its restored glory


I have always wanted to see the inside of an ancient three-master!


A very special invitation to Caird Hall


Congrats to all of 2019 Graduates


So proud of Dr. L


A quick tour around St.Andrew's Castle...


... before we indulge in some seriously scrumptious doughnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...