December 18, 2017

Zürich at Christmas

They say homesickness prompts the development of coping skills and motivates healthy attachment behaviors, such as renewing contact with loved ones. In other words, there is no better way to cure a bit of homesickness than to travel back home.

I would debate home is where my family is. I could also say home is where my heart lies. However, home is also where I have left people behind whom will always have a special place in my heart. Lucky for me, two very dear friends of mine happen to live in Zurich where we grew up together. Need I add more? I booked myself onto a Swiss Airways flight back to my home town for some homesickness indulgence.

These were my moments...


Leaving a grey and rainy Paris behind...


... to arrive at the spick and span Zürich airport!


Culinary homesickness cure: Cervelat und Büürli


Zürcher Tirggel zum dessert!
Traditional Christmas honey biscuits from Zürich.


Reach for the stars! The 157-foot-high tower belonging to the Urania observatory makes it possible. The main telescope allows magnifications of up to 600 times.


I had never noticed this gift from Paris on the Bahnhofstrasse: water fountain dd 1870.


We all know who he is!


Eile mit Weile: a very traditional Swiss board game


Handmade Samichlaus figurines from the Schweizer Heimatwerk, a modern retail shop founded in 1930 offering the finest «made in Switzerland» handicrafts.


Tiger Finkli (tiger slippers) are a Swiss cult object worn by kids since 1938.  


When I can see the snowy mountains from the city center I know I'm home.


Zürich looking quaint


S'Määrlitram is yet another Christmas institution. Zürich would not be the same without Samichlaus und Christchind taking you for a round trip through the city telling you stories and feeding you Z'vieri.


The Sächsilüüte Platz has changed since I was little.
It now hosts an enormous Christmas market including an ice rink and a carousel.


Cookie cutters are still the same.
Swiss Christmas biscuits are the best.


Jelmoli department store was selling personalised wrapping paper. How cool is that?!? 


Some traditions never change: de Päcklitisch!
Free gift wrapping for Christmas and not a piece of waste in sight.


Another longstanding tradition is making your own candles at the Bürkliplatz.
It still smells the same when you walk into the tent.


Could not resist this shot.
Contrast from up close reality to far away alps in the background.


Bis zum nächste Mal: Ciao Züri!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...