May 25, 2019

Rebuild THIS Cathedral!

It has been months now that the "gilets jaunes" have been protesting every Saturday afternoon. The entire city is tired of the weekly disruption.

There is another quieter and less violent movement going on in Paris, however, the demand by the younger generation for tougher action against global warming.

Yesterday, roughly 15,000 demonstrators, many of them too young to vote, rallied in front of the Opera waving home-made posters with slogans such as “There is no planet B” or “Plant trees, save the bees, clean the seas.”

Most of them had skipped their afternoon classes to participate. Even though the mood seemed cheerful, the clear and determined message by high school and universtity students needs to be taken very seriously.

In the middle of it all is my 15-year old daughter, whom having finished her end-of-term exams asked to me on Thursday night if she could participate. Although not thrilled about the idea, Expat Girl does strongly believe in the cause and had no school on Friday afternoon so I found it hard to say no!

So, off she went with her hand painted banner joined by some like-minded girlfriends to do what the French do best.... demonstrate!

This morning I am reading the French newspaper "Le Monde" and my daughter's face is smiling back at me from the screen. I cannot hide how cool I think this is, seeing your kid in the news demanding for action in a cause she lives and preaches by. Her voice has been heard but will the industry and politicians react adequately?

You go girl! Follow your dreams. I am soooo proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...