November 25, 2014

Pursuing my passion for writing

Always the one to expand my boundaries in order to learn more, I thought I'd give myself a push by signing up in a Paris Vignettes workshop. I have been blogging for over 4 years now but my writing has not really changed at least that is my impression. I decided to take it to the next step.

For the next six weeks I'll be sharing my craft with an author, travel writer, web-master and tour guide and eight other pupils wanting to learn about how to write a Parisian vignette.

You are wondering what IS a vignette? Well, that was the first lesson: a vignette is a piece of writing (non-fiction in the case of this workshop) that tells some form of story in less than 1000 words, that hones in on something “essential,” that somehow feels complete and whose ending adds to the piece rather than simply summarises it.

Having missed my first lesson due to travelling I started by reading the other participants' first vignettes we were asked to send to each other before the second class. Their stories were fun to read but the most intriguing part was knowing I would put a face to each writer by the next Monday. Each piece was different, each had its own style and its own attitude that clearly shone through. Some contained more humour and others a more dark side.

I arrived early to the workshop but when I walked though the door a redhead lady sitting at the table greeted me with a big smile. She too had missed the first class and was early! After the first hello I realised by her heavy accent she was from Scotland. She must be the artist then that has just finished her tour I thought. I had read her vignette and it spiked my interest since not only was she a real artist - a metier for which I have a great deal of respect and I did not find the courage to pursue myself - but also because my mother lives in Scotland.

Slowly the other pupils started pouring in and in my mind I paired each one to a vignette I had read. Once we each started reading our piece out loud I realised my guess had not been that far off.

I have yet to discover more about my fellow writers but so far let's just say we're neighbours on Monday afternoons.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I attended a writing seminar once that was somewhat similar, it was very educational and loads of fun - though I really wish I had taken waaaaay more notes :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...