October 17, 2018

Foddie discoveries in Tokyo

At the exit from the airport, my mind focused on the fact that I was really, finally in Japan. Starting with that, I tried to collect and stack all the details I found: materials, light, texture, smell – I wanted it all at once.

Not a foodie by nature, I was more fascinated by the colours of the labels and the food presentation ranging from plastic examples of a dish to an exotic looking aisle of sweets or a colourful drink dispenser. The display of flavours with fake ice cream cones, however, took the cake! Never again will I be able to choose a flavour in an Italian gelato parlour without thinking of the Japanese showcase.


Our first night out and the sushi is EXTRAORDINARY!


These products seem to be very popular with the locals


Juice, milk or tea?!?


No clue!


Monoprix à la japonaise


This is when you realise how familiar you sweetie packing becomes after having grown up with it!


Fascinated by these drink dispensers


Food mock-ups displayed everywhere... and it just doesn't do justice to the real thing.


Can I take one of these home and hang it up in my room???


Might be hard to find the entrance?


A European hotel breakfast to get the day started. 


Oysters on the go... serve yourself to seasoning and sauce!


Chocolate and sweetie aisle... my favourite back home.


Tatsuya Tanaka “Miniature Life” exhibit at Nihonbashi Takashimaya department store 


It's British week at Mitsukoshi department store...


...and guess what... fake plastic scones on display... along with fake jam and fake clotted cream!


Tasting "Ningyo Yaki" sold at many shops on Nakamise street. A sweet cake filled with sweet red bean paste usually in shapes of dolls, birds and Asakusa’s symbolic lantern “Kaminarimon”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...