October 3, 2018

Ateliers des Lumières ... a cool experience!

A big fan of technology combined with art, I was quick to visit Paris' latest addition to the art scene. Located in a former foundry in the 11th arrondissement, the Atelier des Lumières is the French capital's first digital fine art museum.

The exhibition space aims to make art accessible to a large audience who do not regularly visit museums or galleries, albeit I still could not convince my kids to accompany me. My German yoga buddy was more than happy to discover the pictorial art.

The immersive and panoramic light show was dedicated to Austrian painter Gustav Klimt and a century of Viennese painting, including works by Egon Schiele and Hundertwasser.

Standing in darkness, feeling slightly confused and mingling with other like-minded visitors, we stared in awe as the overture from Wagner’s Tannhäuser blasted around the room and thousands of images were set in motion on walls and pillars towering around us. We were transfixed as 360-degree views of artworks flashed around the room.

The artworks projected onto 10-metre-high walls across a 3,300 square metre area were mind blowing. It felt like the works were enveloping us into their fold, as if our feet were loosing ground and our bodies were being swallowed into the over 3000 pictures. I guess that is why they call it an immersive exhibition. All in all a rather cool feeling.

I found myself wanting to reach into the space in front of me and touch the decorative motif "The Tree of Life" as it is digitally cast around the venue and set in motion to a Viennese waltz.

This multi-sensory experience, is definitely one of the coolest exhibits I have visited in Paris... and for a moment I was carried far away from the city of lights to the city of music.


Loving the colours, the medium and the music!


We are all a part of the painting!


What is real and what not?


Being soaked up by art 


Hundertwasser in 3D... mind boggling!


This is what the artwork would look like in Paris colours.


Need to boost our energy and caffeine levels after so much excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...