November 30, 2018

A soft spot for the Swedes

I have a soft spot for Sweden... always have had. During our Expat travels my best friends in Milano, Madrid and in Paris were Swedes. My Mum loved Scandi furniture and Dad's first family car was a Volvo. They gave me a Swedish name that would sound the same in every language. And each Christmas my Mum would bring out her handmade Swedish ornaments to cover the house with.

I have inherited many of the little Swedish trinkets and every year I add my own to the Father Christmas collection that began back in the 60s. Therefore around the end of November I religiously head to the Swedish Church in Paris - recognisable by its red brick façade and steeple inspired by Swedish architecture - to attend their Christmas Bazaar.

You can’t miss the Swedish flag waving in the wind which indicates the church from afar. Whiffs of Glögg welcome me before I even enter the gate. A group of smiling faces greet me with a hearty "Hej Hej", many wearing their traditional Swedish costume. I skipped the salmon and cheese stand to head straight to the ornaments stand, followed by the candle stand and then to admire all the Scandi handcrafted design objects. Of course, I cannot leave without some Pepperkakor (ginger snap biscuits) and a bottle of Glögg, the Swedish mulled wine.

As I have learnt from my Swedish friends Glögg is an essential part of the lead up to Christmas because there is no party throughout Advent without a good glass of Glögg.


Everyone is welcome...


... to the Svenska kyrkan.


The little touches of Scandinavian Christmas decor


It's the little things that count in life.


All handmade in Sweden.


Fallen in love with this little couple.


How can I resist this one?



All bundled up!


Hand-stitched needle cushions... does anyone still use those?


The sweetie stand! 


Swedish cookbook anyone?


And in the midst of it all... a portrait of the Swedish Royal Couple. 


Swedish salmon


Reindeer?!?


That bottle has my name written all over it.


Should I or should I not?!?


Now, we know who Stieg Larson is, what about the rest?


Getting some hot food...


... to enjoy at the little table between the church pews!


See you again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...