May 9, 2012

A Hermès Vintage Auction

How could I resist? A Hermès Vintage auction taking place just down the road. This is a once in a life-time opportunity. This is better than Hermès' Private Sales where they make you stand in line for days before you even get a glimps of a carré.

Strolling down the Champs Elysées last Sunday with my hubby we came across an auction viewing in a "Hotel Particulier" which caught our fancy: Hermès Vintage. Without hesitation we went for it.




"I think I'll come back on Wednesday for the auction" was my conclusion an hour later. "What did you spot that you'd like to buy?" was my hubby's worried reaction.

I have never been to an auction. What better way to start than with a Hermès vintage sale? My main reason for coming back was to see WHO would buy Hermès vintage? The French, the tourists, the fashionistas or the wanna-bes?

My conclusion would be a bit of all. I could have been their perfect client remarked my partner in crime. She was not wrong. Following her good advice I actually sat on my bidding number (No.259) just to make sure I didn't give away to temptation. I did miss out on a pair of exquisit black leather gloves for 80.- Euros and had I chewn gum I would have definatley bought the superb leather chewing gum case for 100.- Euros. A 35cm crocodile Kelly 1991 went for 23,000 Euros, a leather placesetting plan sold for 2'200.- Euros, the Silk Carrés went for 250.- Euros on average.





It will be difficult to top this first auction experience but I can always travel to MonteCarlo in July when Artcurial will be auctioning off their next batch of Hermès vintage. Want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...