May 17, 2014

Perfect job or dream location?

It is the time of year again. Families are beginning to pack up their households and prepare for their next move. A friend, who is still in limbo waiting to be told where they will be posted next, asked me for some advice today: "Would you choose the job or the location?"

We all know how difficult it is to combine these two factors. Should you have found the perfect job in your dream location you are one of the very, VERY lucky few.

In my personal opinion, professional career and economic stability always should take priority. My hubby and I have said good-bye to not only one but TWO dream locations in this world - Geneva and Madrid - in order to follow the job opportunity. 

I believe you should never pass up a professional challenge, assuming they are not sending you to Siberia, of course. I also believe men - when choosing location over job opportunity - will always have that little voice in the back of their head wondering if they made the right choice. This does not bode well for the future.

If the job does not work out the way they expected, they will spend the rest of their time trying to fix it. Ever noticed how men need to fix things? We women work with any given situation and deal with it, rather than trying to change it. Men seek a fast fix and rapid solution to the problem.

I read that on average people spend around 80,000 hours at work during their lifetime. This is a piece of mind-blowing information. In other words, it’s your life, your career, and your unfulfilled potential if you don’t find and follow your dream. So go for it – you owe it to yourself.

Therefore, my advice would be to choose the particular job that best suits your husband and that he will enjoy the most. With your husband happy and your kids safe at school, you will be able to make the most of your new adventure. Never forget to take some me-time!!!

So honey, go with the job and make the rest work. It might take a while, but eventually you will settle and even feel at home. And what's more: I know you can do it! Good luck, my friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...