July 8, 2019

Vous n'avez pas le droit...

Sitting on a sunny terrace in Madrid enjoying my morning café con lèche with sugar-coated churros I am happily browsing through today’s news on my phone when an article captures my attention.

President Macron giving a news conference with the football stadium as a backdrop (yes, France has been hit by female football fever and the Americans won the WorldCup final against the Netherlands last night) talking about the French baccalaureate.

The education ministry is trying to push through some reforms that are not being appreciated, it seems. Am I surprised?!?

I am struck to hear, however, that the official test examiners have decided to go on strike leaving thousands of young high school students hanging and waiting for their exam results which should have been published last Friday.

I am disgusted! I am shocked and I feel for the kids and their families who have been sitting on needles for weeks waiting for this day which for many marks an important milestone in their future career.

I am so, so, so, so fed up with the French bureaucratic system .... and I am not even IN France at the moment.

The gilets jaunes have kept us hostage over the past six months, Air France systemically goes on strike on long weekends, the TGV trains run on and off, snails are faster than the French postal service, taxi drivers blocking access to the airport because of Uber competition... do I need to carry on?!?

To hear that France’s examiners refuse to announce the students’ baccalaureate results just rattles me down to the core.

This is France not some third world country. France which holds its education in high esteem, which even subsidies it’s education system across the globe via over 500 “lycée français” in 135 countries, how can they sink so low?

Seriously I am furious. I am disheartened. I have had enough of this counter-productive French attitude. Yes, you have the right to manifest (and you are world champions at it) but not at the expense of ruining other people’s lives especially not children who have been working hard for years towards this important exam and now are falling victims to a political power struggle.

The French mantra might be “J’ai le droit” but sometimes - lately all too often - this liberty of having the right to express an opinion by way of striking has been taken too far. Les étudiants aussi ont des droits!


According to Denis Meyer "education, the learning of a trade, a craft, is a fundamental if a society aims to evolve, share, and not exclude anyone. »


Sebastian Salgado narrates the history of human rights at the Musée de l'Homme.


J'ai le droit d'avoir des droits!
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights turns 70 this year. On the occasion the Musée de l’Homme has come up with "En Droits!" exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...