February 27, 2015

My Swiss comfort food

Did you know that the exact definition of comfort food is: "Traditional food which provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the consumer, and is often characterized by a high carbohydrate level and simple preparation. The nostalgic element most comfort food has may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture."

Switzerland may be a small nation, but that hasn't stopped it from making a name for itself on the world stage. When it comes to food, Swiss cuisine is often described as a blend of Italian, French and German influences. The dishes aren't elaborate, but they are executed well. Switzerland is known for it's cheese fondue and chocolate (try my heavenly mousse recipe), but there's plenty more than meets the eye. For an authentic Swiss meal think Rösti and G'schnetzles (Zürich style diced-veal), Spätzli (an egg noodle "dumpling" dish) or a slice of Engadine nut tart.

Can you tell I've been home over the holidays? Yes, I admit I am feeling slightly homesick.


All recipes can be found on my Expat with Kids Recipe blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...