July 21, 2015

Do you ever feel depressed?

A friend asked me last week if I ever feel depressed. Stunned about this question I actually had to sit back and reflect. Honestly, I had to think real hard. Depressed? Me? I might be sad, I might be mad, I might be upset but depressed? I cannot say I can recall ever being so desperate that I could not see a way out. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. As the saying goes: "When one door closes onto you, there are many others that will open" ... or something along those lines.

The question, however, has stuck to me and I kept on thinking about it.

My answer today is: I have nothing to be depressed about. I appreciate every minute and every day of our expat life. Sure, there are moments of sadness and fury, longing to be home (not knowing exactly where that might be), memories that make me cry and patches of emotional ups and downs (especially during a move) but the only way is forward, so there is no use in looking backwards... I am not heading in that direction!

While I'm not necessarily always in a good mood, I do let my enthusiasm about the opportunity for adventure get the better of me all the time. "The world is out there for you to discover. Make the most of it!", I keep on telling my children. It is not always an easy life, but there’s no disputing it’s a good life.

Today I read in the WSJ that: "According to a report published in 2009 by the Permits Foundation, which polled 3,300 trailing spouses and partners in 117 countries, 75% of participants who weren’t working in their new country wished they could."

Well, do I dare to admit that I am part of the 25%?!? Yes ... and very happily so!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...