December 2, 2016

A Swedish Christmas tradition

Five years ago a Swedish-American friend invited me to the Christmas bazaar at the Svenska Kyrkan. Having grown up in Switzerland never missing the annual English-speaking Christmas bazaar in Zürich I was excited to scout the Swedish one.

Walking into the church courtyard on a freezing cold morning, I was surrounded by the singsong of Swedish and admired the many Swedes who had turned up in their traditional outfits. One step off the sidewalk and we were miles away from Paris.

All kinds of Nordic salmon was at offer to my left and reindeer meat to my right. A lovely stand full of good quality, sturdy candles and Scandinavian Advent candleholders were calling out my name. I bought a contemporary stylish one which since has taken its place of honour on my mantelpiece every year during Advent.

Inside an immense wall was decked out with shelves full of Swedish food and the crowd was a clear sign of this stalls' success. I crossed the community center to admire the handmade Christmas decorations. I remember my mother collecting these little Scandinavian Father Christmases carved of wood and clothed with hand knitted mini-capes and hats. At the time I was too young and just didn't "get it". Why would you prefer a wooden statuette to a glittery, golden star or bright coloured glass bulbs?

In the meantime, my Swedish connection has moved away from Paris but that did not stop me from popping by the Swedish Church to buy a handmade little Christmas figurine. Yes, it has become a yearly tradition as I add to my Mum's collection.

I did not stay for lunch that was actually served inside the church with tables set up in between the pews. However, I could not walk past the fine wafts of Glögg making me feel "mysig" and drank one to the health of all my Swedish girlfriends. God Jul!


Starting to feel mysig already


Two simple ingredients to create a wonderful decoration


This little man has stolen my heart


So many decorations to choose from


 Honestly, these don't look like they're having fun!


Fluffy angels


Organized Swedes: they even have their trademark


Can't go without Santa Lucia


Love these: simple and straight to the heart


Hand-knitted snowmen waiting for their turn 


A touch of tradition


Inside the Swedish Church courtyard


Every window featuring the typical "Adventsljusstakens" 
with seven lights representing the days of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...